top of page

​McEwan House

Updated: Oct 19, 2023

Building Name:​​​​McEwan House

Address:​​​​407 Peachtree Road, Orlando, FL 32804

Year Built:​​​​1939

Architect of Record:​​​James Gamble Rogers II

Design Architect (if different):​​Laura Huttig (his cousin)

General Contractor:​W.A. McCree Jr.

Other Contributors:​​​Lawrence Hitt

Noteworthy Architectural Features:​Perhaps the first house in Orlando designed by James Gamble Rogers II, however not the first constructed, as the clients waited until their contractor returned to Orlando. Synthesis of styles. Placement and design of a large house to take advantage of lakefront setting.

How to Visit:​​​​Not available to visit, Please respect the owners privacy.

Architectural Style:​​​French Provincial / American Colonial Revival Style

Related Links:


The house at 407 Peachtree Road, designed in 1938 by James Gamble Rogers II assisted by Lawrence Hitt, exemplifies the fact that people who still had money after the Florida Bust and Great Depression could buy land and architects’ services at attractive prices. The house is one of four estate homes built on the south shore of Lake Concord in the 1930’s. Three were designed by J. G. Rogers II; the fourth, by Richard Boone Rogers, no relation.

This French Provincial/American Colonial Revival house shows Rogers’ skill in adapting traditional styles for 20th century living. The clients were prominent surgeon Dr. Duncan McEwan and his wife Marion, who decided to put the construction contract out for bid. They delayed the bidding until the doctor’s loyal patient, W.A. McCree Jr., returned from his honeymoon. McCree got the contract, and the house was completed in 1939.

In 1979 new owners delayed their move-in while designers and decorators turned the two-story white block and brick house into the Orlando Opera Guild’s sixth Designer Showhouse. At some time during their ownership the gable and hip roof coverings may have been replaced. In 1990 Klaus Moeller, a golf course developer, and his wife Shelley engaged McCree to update the house in the spirit of the original. Improvements included installing central air, rewiring, updating the kitchen and bathrooms, closing louvres, enclosing porches and adding several windows and a swimming pool.

The current owners, who purchased the house in 2012, also contacted McCree and keep copies of Rogers’ plans on display. The plans enabled them to reproduce the herringbone brick floors of the former porches in the summer kitchen and the landings of the large new patio, which is mostly constructed of granite. They also plan to recreate faux dormers that were originally used in conjunction with a giant attic fan. They have already removed and restored all 80 of the original double hung sash 6/6 windows and reinstalled them. Other changes include improved wiring, a more efficient air conditioning system, a morning kitchen, 1 and 1/2 new bathrooms and a bathroom enlargement, for a total of nine, and a laundry room, as well as a new driveway and an eight-foot-tall fountain in the front yard. They have also added a new dock using reproduced corner posts from the porches, a waterfall and an infinity edge pool.


1 Comment

The "new" owners in 1990 destroyed the original intent of the home by bricking in the beautiful floor to 8ft.high ceiling window porches on the ground floor by turning it into a weight/fitness room with tiny windows. They also tore off a perfectly good, orignal slate roof for an asphalt roof. The slate roof was in almost perfect shape. They installed a 2ft.deep kiddie pool in the back and brought in non native palm trees. My family lived here in the entire 1980s and treated this beautiful home as caretakers for future generations. It was old world Florida that now looks like someone wants to make it look like it was built in 2008, not 1938.

bottom of page